We can't go around measuring our goodness by what we don't do, by what we deny ourselves, by what we resist and who we exclude.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Time Traveler's Daughter

Received a book, The Time Traveler's Wife, for my birthday way back in October along with a box of tissues in the mail from a friend.  This was soon after he had invited me to join a group of friends to go see the movie.  I was DEFINITELY unprepared, cried through the whole movie, and was gross, swollen, and snotty afterwards.  Making everyone uncomfortable.
So I think sending me the book was a sort of apology, rather than rubbing it in my face that I boo-hooed like a baby.

So I'm re-torturing myself and reading the book.  Enjoying it so far, and haven't gotten to the upset part.  Maybe I should stop now before I reach it!


SPOILER ALERT************* Don't read further if you haven't read/watched the movie


I don't know the story behind why the book was written, but if it were up to me, the "time traveling" is memories of a person after they die.  The book goes forwards and backwards of course in ways memories actually can't, but if I were writing the book, essentially that is what it would have been about.



When I can place whatever fictional situation and apply if to my life, that's when I get really upset.  I look at it less from his perspective, but from the perspective of the wife and daughter.  To relive this person over and over again after they die is wonderful and re-upsetting  because you realize how much you miss every little thing about them.

But I'm also jealous of the movie/book because they actually get to experience the person themselves rather than just as a memory.  But maybe that would keep you from never moving on if you were just waiting for the next moment to see them.  


I'm actually really sad about Dad not being at my graduation.  He would have been the most excited of everyone, and possibly the most proud.  He had the most confidence of anyone that I'd get into Pharmacy School and make it through.  I'm really sad he didn't get to see me finish.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about Dad. He had blind unfailing confidence in us always. I'm sorry he won't be there for you. I think you have it harder than me. Know that mom and i are extra proud of you. I don't know how you did it, but you did. Love you.

    ReplyDelete